The Engagement



Now, if your first date with your future husband is in an helicopter, can you imagine the engagement!? However, as the man asking, how do you out-do your first date?


The answer is to go completely in the other direction and be as UN-romantic as possible. My fiance did just that. SL and I decided we should clean the house because it is usually the lowest priority for us while he is home from work (he works three weeks at a time and is off for two). I was cleaning, as planned, and noticed that he was following me around watching. Finally, I turned around and asked him what he was doing. To this he responded, "nothing, what are you doing?"

"I am cleaning," I informed him sharply. "Like we said we would today!"

"But I don't want to clean," SL slyly told me.

After throwing out a few alternative suggestions for the day, and having them all struck down, I soon realized he must have something in mind. I decided to play his game, and asked him what HE wanted to do since none of my ideas were sufficient. He looked me in the eye and said, "I would like to get engaged."

At this point I was going to kill him if he was kidding, but he got down on one knee and asked me if I would marry him. Because I was standing in my grubbies cleaning the house, my response was, "seriously?!"

He told me that, yes, he was serious. I, of course, emphatically said yes.

So although our first date was a flight over the valley, and ridiculously, perfectly romantic, I wouldn't have our engagement any other way. Plus, SL got what he wanted: I was completely surprised!

 

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I had never heard this story before! It got me all teary eyed :) So cute. I am soooooo excited for the big day (and all the fun leading up to it). Love you lots!

XO

Kirsten